Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Kite Runner


My reactions to this book are complex. First of all, it made me realize how little I know about Afganistan (and many other areas of the world). This book is rooted in decades of unrest and war and reminds us that Afganis are just people like us. (I know it sounds obvious, but just hearing about these conflicts on TV just paints them as the "other.") Second of all, the story is very moving and heart wrenching. Misty would love the traumatic parts but HATE the ending. This is a powerful story about family, a broken society, upheaval, and the ways that it shapes lives. I would like to read a follow up story, although I don't think it exists.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you know my style of books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like talking books with you. :) It's funny about the trauma actually because my mom cannot stand Jody Piccoult books since she doesn't believe in happy endings, but you seem to love them because they are high in trauma!

    ReplyDelete