Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Firefly Lane


This book is much farther into the Chick Lit genre than what I typically read. I see this book as basically a love story, although it focuses on friendship love rather than romantic love. This tracks the friendship of two very different women over the course of 30 years. It's nice to be able to read a story that confirms what I have experienced and what I have witnessed with friends and clients--the line between friendship love and romantic love is not as distinct as you might imagine. What I mean by that is that the betrayal of a friend can break your heart in almost the exact same way as the betrayal of a lover. Likewise, the love of a friend can fill your soul in a very similar way to the love of a partner. Many times I've had clients sit in my office crying over the loss of a close friendship, and their pain is intensified because they believe that they "shouldn't" feel so strongly because it was "just" a friend. Well, friendship can be a very powerful thing.

So, this book was good and sad. I didn't love it, but I liked it. For Misty I'll say: there's trauma, but relatively little since it's a long book and only a few pages are about trauma. As far as closure, I think it was decent, but you'd still probably want more.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment