Monday, February 27, 2012

Virgin: The Untouched History


This book traces the various cultural meanings behind virginity through the ages. I learned about how virgins have been thought to be almost invincible and magical. Virgins could even tame unicorns. I believe a lot of this actually provides the underpinning for the fact that virgins always live during teen horror movies...until they "lose it," after which time they are immediately killed. She discusses famous virgins (some of whom were likely not virgins), including the Virgin Mary, Queen Elizabeth, and that British lesbian who sold her hetero virginity a few years ago. This book also talks about current abstinence based sex ed, which ironically never includes the word "virgin," even though that is the premise of the program.

This book was really interesting. She has another book out about heterosexuality, and I hope to read that soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment