I officially started The Namesake last week (i.e., 2011), but I read almost all of it today, so I figured that it counts as the first book of 2012. I watched the movie a few years ago, and the book followed basically all of the plot that I can remember from the movie.
Lahiri poignantly describes Ashoke and Ashima Ganguli's process as they diligently work to maintain their Indian culture while American culture and their own children pull to Americanize them. She mostly follows the life of Gogol/Nikhil, which parallels a number of clients that I have worked with over the years. He struggles to walk the tightrope of two disparate cultures, attempting to create his own American identity while determining how to respect his parents and their (his) Indian culture. After failed relationships and family tragedies, he seems to find a balance that works for him. I enjoyed this book, and I would recommend it to other readers.

I read this book a couple of years ago for a book club and a lot of people didn't like it, I thought it was okay. I love books that deal with the dynamics of a family through many years. The growth of the characters throughout the book make for interesting character arcs. Also by this author, is a book of short stories that I will one day get around to reading and that I look forward to.
ReplyDeleteI am curious about how I would have felt about the book if I had not seen the movie first, but of course I can never know the answer to that question. I agree that it is interested to "observe" how an interconnected system of characters grows, changes, and adapts over time. I also hope to read Interpreter of Maladies at some point.
ReplyDelete