Monday, April 23, 2012
Child 44
I have to preface this by saying that I know almost nothing about Communist Russia. I wish that I did, so I could tell how far from impossible (and I hope it's really far) this story is. This book was an engaging and suspenseful read. The story involves the search for a mass murderer in a society where murder is alleged to never occur. Each of the individual murders was pinned on an easy target, even when it became clear that they were connected. The powers that be could not admit that they were all committed by one man. Instead, the murderer was sought by one disgraced cop who was considered a traitor. In the end, the connection was a little too close for anyone's comfort. In this story Russia is a dystopian society were everyone is a potential traitor who could be murdered for the slightest infraction. The downside of the book...it reinforces the communism=inherently bad myth. Other than that, it's a good read.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment