This book is the second in the Wicked trilogy. (For those of you who are keeping count, this is the third trilogy to make an appearance this year.) I read Wicked when I was a senior in college, which means that I read it 9 years ago. During the last nine years I have seen the musical Wicked 3 or 4 times and listened to the soundtrack countless times. I have no memory at this point about how the book differs from the musical. Reading this book made it clear that either the book is very different from the musical or a lot happens between the first and second books. I'm not sure which is true. This made it hard for me to get into this book. It took about a third of the book to get hooked, I think, but I did eventually get hooked. In this book, Liir, the probable son of Elphaba (Wicked Witch of the West), finds his own path, which involves furthering Elphaba's work. The end of the book leaves the reader in extreme suspense (MISTY), so I am excited to read the last book in the trilogy.

There is a brand new 4th book in the series. I thought this one was the best---I got attached to the characters in it unlike the others. Hope it is different for you, but I found the third book the hardest to get into at all.
ReplyDelete